Monday, November 16, 2009

Is it true that eating mint can act as a digestive tonic?

Reason I ask is: I recently started using mint dip as an alternative to my tobacco dip habit. It's pure ground up mint with a little corn syrup mixed in (looks exactly the same as regular dip) and it doesn't have nicotine in it, no fiber glass shards (that you can't see in regular dip anyway), you can swallow the juice and the mint itself, and it doesn't promote tooth decay. Plus, it freshens your breath. In fact, I recommend that anyone who is trying to quit dip check out the Oregon Mint Snuff Co.





Back to the question at hand: is mint a digestive tonic? If not, are there any health benefits besides adding flavor to foods, etc.?

Is it true that eating mint can act as a digestive tonic?
Mint relaxes the sphinkters in the digestive system and makes one feel less full. This has led to the custom of serving after dinner mints. Mint can also be calming and help detoxify the system.
Reply:I've always drank mint tea when I've had an upset stomach, and if I get heartburn I usually take a peppermint tums to ease the discomfort


No comments:

Post a Comment