Sunday, May 16, 2010

How do you grow mint--peppermint or spearmint to make for tea?

All of these plants grow really easily. In fact, it's best if you grow them indoors, because if you plant them outside, depending on your location, they'll spread and take over your garden or yard. Half of our backyard is just creeping mint.





You can buy seeds or small seedlings. Both should be readily available at a nursery or garden section of any major big-box retailer.








Once it grows, cut off some stalks and hang them to dry somewhere where there isn't a whole lot of moisture. Then chop up the dried leaves and put them in a tea strainer and steep in hot water. Voila!





The method is pretty standard for all leaf or flower-based teas. Grow, dry, steep.

How do you grow mint--peppermint or spearmint to make for tea?
Sweetie you can go to a home depot like place, a nursery home (for plants of course) and buy it in the little plant pots, I have owned it, on windy days it is so cool, cause you open you window or door and the wind brings in the smell, it is wonderful. Hope you buy it, but make sure to take good care of it, they need good care! Good luck!





Would you please, please, pretty please check this idiot out!!!





http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...
Reply:I havent had a problem with growing it at all in fact my problem has been keeping it contained in the bed I planted it in.


about 14 years ago I dug a plant from my moms garden and took it home. 3 years later it had filled the bed running down the side of my house. I had to move away for a few years but when I came back to live in a different house here I went to the old house and dug up a couple of my mint plants and brought them to my new yard and once again theyve taken over.Im not complaining mind you,I love the smell.and the hummingbirds like them as well as the butterflys.and I have enough dried mint to last me through the winter.


ive had freinds tell me they have problems starting mint plants that they buy from garden shops ,so I wonder if its because they arent used to our area.(we are in growing area 2-3)so go ahead and try them but Id reccomend seeing if someone from your town grows it, and would give you starters.


oh I forgot to tell you we actually have mint that grows wild in the mountains and this is where my mom got hers ,years ago.transplanting it to her yard.so thats part of the reason its so hardy.


good luck.

elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment